Jill Cobb, director
We help shape our future through youth
Activities in this portfolio serve youth in ways that allow them to develop leadership skills, offer service to others and enjoy social relationship opportunities.
Included in this year’s program are….
- Interact — The club sponsors active Interact clubs at Murrieta middle and high schools. Interact is Rotary’s service club for those ages 12 to 18. Club members run their own programs and are encouraged to do at least two service projects each year, one with an international flavor. This offers them leadership experience and opportunities for service. They also participate in the adult club’s activities.
- RYLA — Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. This is Rotary’s leadership training program for young people. RYLA emphasizes leadership, citizenship and personal growth through an intensive training program done at a weekend camp each spring. The club identifies a number of high school juniors (about 12) who have already demonstrated leadership abilities to send to the camp. The camp attracts more than 500 of the best and brightest.
- PRYDE — Personal Rotary Youth Development Experience. Another youth camp, this one, also in the spring, for seventh graders for a weekend interacting with approximately 250 others in activities developing self-leadership skills as they grow to lead others.
- Model UN — We live in an increasingly complex and hostile world. This program offers high school teams from the greater San Diego region an opportunity to practice diplomacy and peace-making. Two-person teams represent a country during mock United Nations debates and decision-making. The club will seek out at least three teams for Model UN this year.
- Student of the Month — The club supports this chamber of commerce program’s scholarship offerings and recognition of students who achieve despite hardships.